Professor: Yalin Wu
Senior Research Specialist: Yun Han
Ph.D Candidates: Chunyan Liao, Chao Chen, Binxiang Cai, Danxue He
Master Candidates: Lei Tao, Bo Yang
Assistant Professor: Yi Liao
LaboratoryTechnician: Xinhui Hou, Yanbo Liu
Master Candidates: Xinxuan Cheng, Zhan Gao
Undergraduate Students: Houjian Zhang, Yu Zhu
age-related macular degeneration and autosomal recessive Stargardt disease
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a major cause of severe vision loss and irreversible blindness in the world’s adults and the China’s middle-aged or elder people, and has become a serious public health problem. AMD greatly influences on health and life quality of middle-aged or elder people in China and brings a heavy burden of ideology and economy to individuals and our country as well as restricts economic development of our nation. Autosomal recessive Stargardt disease (STGD1) is a macular dystrophy caused by mutations in the Abca4 gene, and initially occurs in the layer of retinal pigment epithelium. Tens of thousands of people suffer from complete vision loss due to STGD1. Our study is mainly focused on the pathogenesis and drug discovery of AMD and STGD1.
1. Liao Y#, Zhang H#, He D, Wang Y, Cai B, Chen J, Ma J, Liu Z, and Wu Y*. Retinal pigment epithelium cell death is associated with NLRP3 inflammasome activation by all-trans retinal. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2019, 60(8), 3034-3045.
2. Gao Z, Liao Y, Chen C, Liao C, He D, Chen J, Ma J, Liu Z, and Wu Y*. Conversion of all-trans-retinal into all-trans-retinal dimer reflects an alternative metabolic/antidotal pathway of all-trans-retinal in the retina. J. Biol. Chem. 2018, 293(37), 14507-14519.
3. Zhao J, Liao Y, Chen J, Dong X, Gao Z, Zhang H, Wu X, Liu Z, and Wu Y*. Aberrant buildup of all-trans-retinal dimer, a non-pyridinium bisretinoid lipofuscin fluorophore, contributes to the degeneration of the retinal pigment epithelium. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2017, 58(2), 1063-1075.
4. Li J, Zhang Y, Cai X, Xia Q, Chen J, Liao Y, Liu Z, and Wu Y*. All-trans-retinal dimer formation alleviates the cytotoxicity of all-trans-retinal in human retinal pigment epithelial cells. Toxicology 2016, 371, 41-48.
5. Liu X, Chen J, Liu Z, Li J, Yao K*, and Wu Y*. Potential therapeutic agents against retinal diseases caused by aberrant metabolism of retinoids. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016, 57(3), 1017-1030.
6. Zhang J#, Bai Y#, Qi Y, Zhang Q, Li S, Huang L, Wu Y*, and Li X*. Protective effect of autophagy on human retinal pigment epithelial cells against lipofuscin fluorophore A2E: implications for age-related macular degeneration. Cell Death Dis. 2015, 6, e1972.
7. Li J, Cai X, Xia Q, Yao K, Chen J, Zhang Y, Naranmandura H, Liu X, and Wu Y*. Involvement of endoplasmic reticulum stress in all-trans-retinal induced retinal pigment epithelium degeneration. Toxicol. Sci. 2015, 143(1), 196-208.
8. Zhao J, Yao K, Jin Q, Jiang K, Chen J, Liu Z, Li J, and Wu Y*. Preparative and biosynthetic insights into pdA2E and isopdA2E, retinal-derived fluorophores of retinal pigment epithelial lipofuscin. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2014, 55(12), 8241-8250.
9. Wu Y*, Jin Q, Yao K, Zhao J, Chen J, Wu X, Gan L, Li J, Song X, Liu X, and Cai X. Retinal metabolism in humans induces the formation of an unprecedented lipofuscin fluorophore 'pdA2E'. Biochem. J. 2014, 460(3), 343-352.
10. Li J, Yao K, Yu X, Dong X, Gan L, Luo C, and Wu Y*. Identification of a novel lipofuscin pigment (iisoA2E) in retina and its effects in the retinal pigment epithelial cells. J. Biol. Chem. 2013, 288(50), 35671-35682.
11. Wu Y, Zhou J, Fishkin NE, Rittman BE, and Sparrow JR. Enzymatic degradation of A2E, a retinal pigment epithelial lipofuscin bisretinoid. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133(4), 849-857.
12. Wu Y, Yanase E, Feng X, Siegel M, and Sparrow JR. Structural characterization of bisretinoid A2E photocleavage products and implications for age-related macular degeneration. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010, 107(16), 7275-7280.
13. Wu Y, Fishkin NE, Pande A, Pande J, and Sparrow JR. Novel lipofuscin bisretinoids prominent in human retina and in a model of recessive Stargardt disease. J. Biol. Chem. 2009, 284(30), 20155-20166.