Title: Assistant Professor
Department: Ophthalmology and Visual Science
Research field: Inherited and age-related macular degeneration
Dr. Yi Liao received her undergraduate degree from Life Science College, Wuhan University in 2007, and got her Ph.D. degree from Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, Rutgers University in 2013. After that, she returned China and Joined Professor. Yalin Wu’s group to study the underlying pathological mechanisms of inherited and age-related macular degeneration.
Dr. Liao’s ongoing projects mainly focus on the causative effect of visual cycle anomaly in retinal pigment epithelium and photoreceptor degeneration.
Dr. Liao is now active member of Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO ) and Chinese Society for Cell Biology.
Selected publications:（link to PubMed for all publications）
1. Liao, Y.*, H. P. Chu*, Z. Hu, J. J. Merkin, J. Chen, Z. Liu, K. Degenhardt, E. White and A. G. Ryazanov (2016). "Paradoxical Roles of Elongation Factor-2 Kinase in Stem Cell Survival." J Biol Chem 291(37): 19545-19557.
2. Chu, H. P.*, Y. Liao*, J. S. Novak*, Z. Hu, J. J. Merkin, Y. Shymkiv, B. P. Braeckman, M. V. Dorovkov, A. Nguyen, P. M. Clifford, R. G. Nagele, D. E. Harrison, R. E. Ellis and A. G. Ryazanov (2014). "Germline quality control: eEF2K stands guard to eliminate defective oocytes." Dev Cell 28(5): 561-572. (Co-first author)
3. Gao, Z., Y. Liao, C. Chen, C. Y. Liao, D. X. He, J. M. Chen, J. X. Ma, Z. G. Liu and Y. L. Wu (2018). "Conversion of all-trans-retinal into all-trans-retinal dimer reflects an alternative metabolic/antidotal pathway of all-trans-retinal in the retina." Journal of Biological Chemistry 293(37): 14507-14519.
4. Zhao, J., Y. Liao, J. Chen, X. Dong, Z. Gao, H. Zhang, X. Wu, Z. Liu and Y. Wu (2017). "Aberrant Buildup of All-Trans-Retinal Dimer, a Nonpyridinium Bisretinoid Lipofuscin Fluorophore, Contributes to the Degeneration of the Retinal Pigment Epithelium." Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 58(2): 1063-1075.
5. Li, J., Y. Zhang, X. Cai, Q. Xia, J. Chen, Y. Liao, Z. Liu and Y. Wu (2016). "All-trans-retinal dimer formation alleviates the cytotoxicity of all-trans-retinal in human retinal pigment epithelial cells." Toxicology 371: 41-48.
6. Hizli, A. A., Y. Chi, J. Swanger, J. H. Carter, Y. Liao, M. Welcker, A. G. Ryazanov and B. E. Clurman (2013). "Phosphorylation of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2) by cyclin A-cyclin-dependent kinase 2 regulates its inhibition by eEF2 kinase." Mol Cell Biol 33(3): 596-604.