Title: Professor, Director
Degree: M.D., M.Sci.
Department: Ophthalmology and Visual Science
Research field: Corneal Stem Cell, Corneal Tissue Engineering, Ocular Surface Disease
Dr. Wei Li graduated from Wannan Medical College in 1994, and got his Master’s degree from Tongji Medical University in 1999. After that, he had worked as a chief ophthalmologist in Shenzhen for 4 years. From May 2003 to Feb 2007, he had been trained in Ocular Surface Center (Miami, Florida, USA) under the guidance of Dr. Scheffer C G Tseng. In March 2007, he joined the faculty of Xiamen University Medical College, and worked as associate professor, and then promoted to professor of Ophthalmology in the Eye Institute of Xiamen University. He also works as a cornea and ocular surface disease specialist in Xiamen Eye Center. Dr. Li has published more than 70 papers on peer-reviewed journals such as IOVS, J Pathol, Cell Res, J Biol Chem, J Cell Physiol, Stem Cells, Am J Physiol, and Am J Pathol, and so on. He also contributed to chapters of six scientific books published in China or United States. He has obtained several awards from municipal and provincial government, including Prize for Progress in Science and Technology, and Yunsheng Youth Science and Technology Prize. Eight US or Chinese patents have been filed based on his research findings. Dr. Li continuously focuses his basic research on corneal limbal stem cell and corneal tissue engineering, and clinic research on ocular surface reconstruction, as well as the treatment of severe ocular surface and corneal diseases. His research projects were supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China, the Natural Science Foundation of Fujian province, and the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security of China. Dr. Li is now active member of Chinese Medical Association (CMA), Asia Cornea Society (ACS), Asia Dry Eye Society (ADES), Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), International Ocular Surface Society (IOSS), and American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO). He is committee member of Chinese Cornea Society, communication editor of Chinese Journal of Ophthalmology, academic editor of PLOS ONE and Exp Eye Res, reviewer of National Natural Science Foundation of China, and reviewer of several international journals.
Selected Publications:（link to PubMed for all publications）
1. Li S, Ning K, Zhou J, Guo Y, Zhang H, Zhu Y, Zhang L, Jia C, Chen Y, Sol Reinach P, Liu Z, Li W. Sleep deprivation disrupts the lacrimal system and induces dry eye disease. Exp Mol Med. 2018 Mar 2;50(3):e451. doi: 10.1038/emm.2017.285.
2. Zhang X, Lin X, Liu Z, Wu Y, Yang Y, Ouyang W, Li W, Liu Z. Topical Application of Mizoribine Suppresses CD4+ T-cell-Mediated Pathogenesis in Murine Dry Eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017 Dec 1;58(14):6056-6064.
3. Wu Y, Bu J, Yang Y, Lin X, Cai X, Huang C, Zheng X, Ouyang W, Li W, Zhang X, Liu Z. Therapeutic Effect of MK2 Inhibitor on Experimental Murine Dry Eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017 Sep 1;58(11):4898-4907.
4. Jeyalatha MV, Qu Y, Liu Z, Ou S, He X, Bu J, Li S, Reinach PS, Liu Z, Li W. Function of meibomian gland: Contribution of proteins. Exp Eye Res. 2017 Oct;163:29-36.
5. Li S, Zhou J, Zhang L, Li J, Yu J, Ning K, Qu Y, He H, Chen Y, Reinach PS, Liu CY, Liu Z, Li W. Ectodysplasin A regulates epithelial barrier function through sonic hedgehog signalling pathway. J Cell Mol Med. 2017 Aug 7.
6. Chen J, Li Z, Zhang L, Ou S, Wang Y, He X, Zou D, Jia C, Hu Q, Yang S, Li X, Li J, Wang J, Sun H, Chen Y, Zhu YT, Tseng SCG, Liu Z, Li W. Descemet's Membrane Supports Corneal Endothelial Cell Regeneration in Rabbits. Sci Rep. 2017 Aug 1;7(1):6983.
7. Zhang X, M VJ, Qu Y, He X, Ou S, Bu J, Jia C, Wang J, Wu H, Liu Z, Li W. Dry Eye Management: Targeting the Ocular Surface Microenvironment. Int J Mol Sci. 2017 Jun 29;18(7).
8. Li S, Zhou J, Bu J, Ning K, Zhang L, Li J, Guo Y, He X, He H, Cai X, Chen Y, Reinach PS, Liu Z, Li W. Ectodysplasin A protein promotes corneal epithelial cell proliferation. J Biol Chem. 2017 Aug 11;292(32):13391-13401.
9. Wu H, Lin Z, Yang F, Fang X, Dong N, Luo S, Shang X, Li W, Liu Z. Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Correlates to the Tear Film Instability and Ocular Discomfort in Patients with Pterygium. Sci Rep. 2017 Mar 24;7:45115.
10. Wang S, Zhao H, Huang C, Li Z, Li W, Zhang X, Liu Z. Impact of Chronic Smoking on Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. PLoS One. 2016 Dec 28;11(12):e0168763.
11. Zhou J, Ge L, Jia C, Zheng X, Cui H, Zong R, Bao X, Yin Y, Ma JX, Li W, Liu Z, Zhou Y. ROS-mediated Different Homeostasis of Murine Corneal Epithelial Progenitor Cell Line under Oxidative Stress. Sci Rep. 2016 Nov 2;6:36481.
12. Chen Y, Yang W, Zhang X, Yang S, Peng G, Wu T, Zhou Y, Huang C, Reinach PS, Li W, Liu Z. MK2 inhibitor reduces alkali burn-induced inflammation in rat cornea. Sci Rep. 2016 Jun 22;6:28145.
13. Ouyang H, Goldberg JL, Chen S, Li W, Xu GT, Li W, Zhang K, Nussenblatt RB, Liu Y, Xie T, Chan CC, Zack DJ. Ocular Stem Cell Research from Basic Science to Clinical Application: A Report from Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center Ocular Stem Cell Symposium. Int J Mol Sci. 2016 Mar 22;17(3). pii: E415. doi: 10.3390/ijms17030415.
14. Zhang L, Zou D, Li S, Wang J, Qu Y, Ou S, Jia C, Li J, He H, Liu T, Yang J, Chen Y, Liu Z, Li W. An Ultra-thin Amniotic Membrane as Carrier in Corneal Epithelium Tissue-Engineering. Sci Rep. 2016 Feb 15;6:21021.
15. Li J, Li C, Wang G, Liu Z, Chen P, Yang Q, Dong N, Wu H, Liu Z, Li W. APR-246/PRIMA-1Met Inhibits and Reverses Squamous Metaplasia in Human Conjunctival Epithelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016 Feb 1;57(2):444-52.
16. Wang Y, Li S, Chen X, Ma B, He H, Liu T, Yu J, Zhang L, Chen Y, Liu Z, Li W. Meibomian gland absence related dry eye in ectodysplasin A mutant mice. Am J Pathol. 2016 Jan;186(1):32-42.
17. Shao Y, Tang J, Zhou Y, Qu Y, He H, Liu Q, Tan G, Li W*, Liu Z*. A novel method in preparation of acellular porcine corneal stroma tissue for lamellar keratoplasty. Am J Transl Res. 2015 Dec 15;7(12):2612-29.
18. Liu Z, Qiu F, Li J, Zhu Z, Yang W, Zhou X, An J, Huang F, Wang Q, Reinach PS, Li W, Chen W, Liu Z. Adenomatous polyposis coli mutation leads to myopia development in mice. PLoS One. 2015 Oct 23;10(10):e0141144.
19. Dong F, Liu CY, Yuan Y, Zhang Y, Li W, Call M, Zhang L, Chen Y, Liu Z, Kao WW. Perturbed meibomian gland and tarsal plate morphogenesis by excess TGFα in eyelid stroma. Dev Biol. 2015 Oct 15;406(2):147-57.
20. Poon MW, He J, Fang X, Zhang Z, Wang W, Wang J, Qiu F, Tse HF, Li W, Liu Z, Lian Q. Human ocular epithelial cells endogenously expressing sox2 and oct4 yield high efficiency of pluripotency reprogramming.PLoS One. 2015 Jul 1;10(7):e0131288.
21. Han Y, Shao Y, Liu TT, Qu YL, Li W*, Liu Z*. Therapeutic Effects of Topical Netrin-4 Inhibits Corneal Neovascularization in Alkali Burn Rats. PLoS One. 2015 Apr 8;10(4):e0122951.
22. Han Y, Shao Y, Liu TT, Li SM, Li W, Liu ZG. Therapeutic effects of topical netrin-4 in a corneal acute inflammatory model. Int J Ophthalmol. 2015 Apr 18;8(2):228-33.
23. Huang C, Wang H, Pan J, Zhou D, Chen W, Li W, Chen Y, Liu Z. Benzalkonium Chloride Induces Subconjunctival Fibrosis Through the COX-2-Modulated Activation of a TGF-β1/Smad3 Signaling Pathway. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Nov 18;55(12):8111-22.
24. Ma J, Zhou D, Fan M, Wang H, Huang C, Zhang Z, Wu Y, Li W, Chen Y, Liu Z. Keratocytes create stromal spaces to promote corneal neovascularization via MMP13 expression. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Sep 4;55(10):6691-703.
25. Hu P, Zheng XS, Zong C, Li MH, Zhang LY, Li W*, Ren B*. Drop-coating deposition and surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopies (DCDRS and SERS) provide complementary information of whole human tears. J Raman Spectrosc. 2014, Jun; 45(6): 565–573.
26. Ma B, He X, Li W. [Research progress in the metabolism of corneal epithelial cells]. Chin J Cell Stem Cell. 2014, Feb; 4(1):72-78.
27. Qu Y, Lin H, Geng Z, He H, Liu Z, Li W. [The phenotype study of murine corneal epithelial progenitor cell line TKE2]. Chin J Cell Stem Cell. 2014, Feb; 4(1):21-25.
28. Lin H, Qu Y, Geng Z, Li C, Wu H, Dong N, Liu Z, Li W. Air exposure induced characteristics of dry eye in conjunctival tissue culture. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 31;9(1):e87368.
29. Li C, Dong F, Jia Y, Du H, Dong N, Xu Y, Wang S, Wu H, Liu Z, Li W. Notch Signal Regulates Corneal Endothelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition. Am J Pathol. 2013 Sep;183(3):786-95.
30. Li C, Dong N, Wu H, Dong F, Xu Y, Du H, He H, Liu Z, Li W. A novel method for preservation of human corneal limbal tissue. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013 Jun 10;54(6):4041-7.
31. Sabater AL, Guarnieri A, Espana EM, Li W, Prósper F, Moreno-Montañés J. Strategies of human corneal endothelial tissue regeneration. Regen Med. 2013 Mar;8(2):183-95.
32. Xu K, Tao T, Jie J, Lu X, Li X, Mehmood MA, He H, Liu Z, Xiao X, Yang J, Ma JX, Li W, Zhou Y, Liu Z. Increased importin 13 activity is associated with the pathogenesis of pterygium. Mol Vis. 2013;19:604-13.
33. Kawakita T, Espana EM, Higa K, Kato N, Li W, Tseng SC. Activation of Smad-mediated TGF-β signaling triggers epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in murine cloned corneal progenitor cells. J Cell Physiol. 2013 Jan; 228(1):225-34.
34. Liu Z, Li W, Liang L, Liu J. Porcine Corneal Equivalent for Xenographs. Science, 2012 Apr, suppl P24-26.
35. Han Y, Shao Y, Lin Z, Quyang L, Wang H, Zhou Y, Chen W, Chen Y, Chen WL, Hu FR, Li W*, Liu Z*. Netrin-1 Simultaneously Suppresses Corneal Inflammation and Neovascularization. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012 Mar;53(3):1285-95.
36. Tan Y, Qiu F, Qu YL, Li C, Shao Y, Xiao Q, Liu Z, Li W. Amniotic Membrane Inhibits Squamous Metaplasia of Human Conjunctival Epithelium. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011 Jul;301(1):C115-25.
37.Li C, Yin T, Dong N, Dong F, Fang X, Qu YL, Tan Y, Wu H, Liu Z, Li W. Oxygen tension affects terminal differentiation of corneal limbal epithelial cells. J Cell Physiol. 2011 Sep;226(9):2429-37.