Title: Professor, Director
Degree: M.D., Ph.D.
Department: Ophthalmology and Visual Science
Research field: Corneal & Ocular Surface Diseases, Corneal Tissue Engineering
Dr. Zuguo Liu is the professor of ophthalmology, the director of eye institute and stem cell institute of Xiamen University, and the chairman of ophthalmology and vision science key laboratory of Fujian Province. He was entitled distinguished “Changjiang” professor in 2002 by the education department of Peoples Republic of China.
Dr. Liu graduated from Hengyang Medical College in 1985, and received his master’s and doctoral degree from Sun Yat-sen Medical University in 1991 and 1996. He did his postdoctoral training in Bascom Palmer Eye Institute from 1997 to 1999. In 1999, he was promoted to the full professor of Ophthalmology. He worked in Zhongshan ophthalmic center from 1991 to 2005, where he was the vice dean of Zhongshan ophthalmic center, the chairman of the Department of Optometry from 2003 to 2005. During 2000 to 2001, he worked as the vice dean of Linhu eye hospital, the director of eye institute in Beijing University eye center. Beginning from 2006, he started his new era in Xiamen, and served as the dean of medical school of Xiamen University from 2006 to 2017.
For the last 30 years, he has been focusing on ocular surface and cornea. He is the council member of Asia Cornea Disease Association. As the founder member of Asia Council of Dry Eye, he is the president-elect. In China, he serves as the standing committee of the Ophthalmology Branch and the vice chairman of Cornea Disease Advisory Board, in both Chinese Medical Association and Chinese Physician Association. He is the deputy editor-in-chief for top journals in China, including Chinese Journal of Ophthalmology, Chinese Cell and Stem Cell Transplantation and Chinese Journal of Optometry &Ophthalmology and Visual Science. Dr. Liu’s research projects has been supported by more than 50 grants. He has published more than 400 papers. As the inventor, he was authorized 10 innovation patents and disclosed 12 patents. More importantly, he established the first ocular surface disease research center and opened the first Dry Eye Clinics in China. He trained a large number of professionals in this area with more than 100 master/doctoral students and advanced training physicians. He was invited to give more than 600 national and oversea talks.
（link to PubMed for all publications）
1. Sanming Li, Ke Ning, Jing Zhou, YuliGuo, Houjian Zhang, Yu Zhu, Liying Zhang, ChangkaiJia, Yongxiong Chen, Peter Sol Reinach, Zuguo Liu*, and Wei Li. Sleep deprivation disrupts lacrimal system and induces dry eye disease. [J]. Experimental & Molecular Medicine, 2018 Mar 2, 50(3):e451.
2. Sanming Li, Jing Zhou, Liying Zhang, Juan Li, Jingwen Yu,Ke Ning, Yangluowa Qu, Hui He, Yongxiong Chen, Peter S. Reinach,Chia-Yang Liu, Zuguo Liu*, Wei Li*. Ectodysplasin A regulates epithelial barrier function through sonic hedgehog signalling pathway[J]. Journal of Cellular & Molecular Medicine, 2018 Jan, 22(1):230-240.
3. Gao Z, Liao Y, Chen C, Liao C, He D, Chen J, Ma JX, Liu Z*, Wu Y*.Conversion of all-trans-retinal into all-trans-retinal dimer reflects an alternative metabolic/antidotal pathway of all-trans-retinal in the retina[J].J Biol Chem. 2018 Jul 26.
4. Yang Q, Tang L, Shen M, Wang Y, Wei Y, Jeyalatha V, Chen P, Dong F, Wang G, Wu S, Liu Z*, Li C*.Effects of diesel exhaust particles on the condition of mouse ocular surface[J]. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2018 Aug 1;163:585-593.
5. Wang G, Dong N, Wang Y, Li J, Dong F, Jeyalatha V, Wu J, Shen M, Yang Q, Chen P, Xue Y, Liu Z, Li C*.Epithelial dysplasia in pterygium postoperative granuloma[J]. Exp Eye Res. 2018 Aug 17;175:199-206.
6. Yiran Yang, Caihong Huang, Xiang Lin, Yang Wu, Weijie Ouyang, Liying Tang, Sihao Ye,Yuhong Wang, Wei Li, Xiaobo Zhang*,and Zuguo Liu*.0.005% Preservative-Free Latanoprost Induces Dry EyeLike Ocular Surface Damage via Promotion of Inflammation in Mice. IOVS, 2018 Jul 2;59:3375–3384
7. Yuanyuan Yin, RongrongZong,XiaoruiBao, Xiling Zheng, Huixia Cui, Zuguo Liu,andYuepingZhou*.Oxidative Stress Suppresses Cellular Autophagy in CornealEpithelium. IOVS, 2018 Jul 2;59:3286–3293.
8. Xiaobo Zhang, Xiang Lin, Zhaolin Liu, Yang Wu, Yiran Yang, Weijie Ouyang, Wei Li, and Zuguo Liu*. Topical Application of Mizoribine Suppresses CD4+ T-cell-Mediated Pathogenesis in Murine Dry Eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 2017 Dec 1, 58(14):6056-6064.
9. Yang Wu, Jinghua Bu, Yiran Yang, Xiang Lin, Xiaoxin Cai, Caihong Huang, Xiaoxiang Zheng, Weijie Ouyang, Wei Li, Xiaobo Zhang, and Zuguo Liu*. Therapeutic Effect of MK2 Inhibitor on Experimental Murine Dry Eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017 Sep 1;58(11):4898-4907.
10. Sanming Li, Jing Zhou, Jinghua Bu, Ke Ning, Liying Zhang, Juan Li, Yuli Guo, Xin He, Hui He, Xiaoxin Cai, Yongxiong Chen, Peter Sol Reinach, Zuguo Liu, and Wei Li. Ectodysplasin A promotes corneal epithelial cell proliferation[J]. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2017 Aug 11, 292(32):jbc.M117.803809.
11. Wang YC, Li S, Chen X, Ma B, He H, Liu T, Yu J, Zhang L, Chen Y, Liu Z(corresponding), Li W. Meibomian Gland Absence Related Dry Eye in Ectodysplasin A Mutant Mice. Am J Pathol. 2016 Jan;186(1):32-42.
12. Dong, F., Liu, C. Y., Yuan, Y., Zhang, Y., Li, W., Call, M., Zhang, L., Chen, Y., Liu, Z(corresponding)., & Kao, W. W.Perturbed meibomian gland and tarsal plate morphogenesis by excess TGFalpha in eyelid stroma. Dev Biol(3.547), 2015 Oct 15;406(2):147-57.
13. Huang C, Wang H, Pan J, Zhou D, Chen W, Li W, Chen Y, Liu Z (corresponding).Benzalkonium chloride induces subconjunctival fibrosis through the COX-2-modulated activation of a TGF-β1/Smad3 signaling pathway. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Nov 18;55(12):8111-22.
14. Zhen Zhang, WenZhao Yang, ZhenZhen Zhu, QianQian Hu, YanFeng Chen, Hui He,Yong-Xiong Chen, and ZuGuo Liu (corresponding).Therapeutic Effects of Topical Doxycycline in a Benzalkonium Chloride–Induced Mouse Dry Eye Model.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 May 6;55(5):2963-74.
15. Liu X, Zhang B, McBride JD, Zhou K, Lee K, Zhou Y, Liu Z (corresponding), Ma JX. Anti-angiogenic and anti-neuroinflammatory effects of kallistatin through interactions with the canonical Wnt pathway. Diabetes. 2013 Dec;62(12):4228-38.
16. Qiuping Liu, Jingming Li, Rui Cheng, Ying Chen, Kyungwon Lee, Yang Hu, Jinglin Yi, Zuguo Liu(corresponding), Jianxing Ma. Nitrosative Stress Plays an Important Role in Wnt Pathway Activation in Diabetic Retinopathy. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling. 2013 Apr 1;18(10):1141-53.
17. Zuguo Liu(corresponding), Wei Li, Lingyi Liang, Jing Liu. Porcine Corneal Equivalent for Xenographs. Science. 2012, sup P24-26.
18. Hua Wang, Tao Tao, Jing Tang, Yihui Mao, Wei Li, Juan Peng, Gang Tan, JingxiangZhong, Scheffer C.G. Tseng, Tetsuya Kawakita, Yongxiang Zhao, Zuguo Liu(corresponding). Importin 13 serves as a potential marker for human corneal epithelial progenitor cell. Stem Cell ，2009 ,27(Jul 10). 2516-2526